— Image: Andreas Hepp – (C) Beate C. Koehler —
THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELLED
Workshop Pioneer Communities and Deep Mediatization with Prof. dr Andreas Hepp (Bremen)
When? Wednesday 22 April 2020, 11.00-13.00h
Where? Drift 13 005, Utrecht University
For? PhD Candidates and RMa Students, max. 15 participants
Credits? RMa and PhD students who want to earn 1 ECTS can either contribute a short paper presentation (15 minutes) or a review of the event (800-1000 words) situated in mediatization research.
The aim of the workshop is to take an in-depth look at the role of pioneer communities (e.g. Quantified Self, open data, and maker movements) in the “making” of deep mediatization. The workshop will be opened by Andreas Hepp who will discuss the chapter from his latest book Deep Mediatization (CRC Press, 2019) which focuses on “pioneer communities” and share some of his latest field research on the topic in the SF Bay Area. Afterwards, two doctoral candidates/RMa students will present their related research projects. A discussion will follow to explore commonalities and differences of pioneer communities and to reflect on their role in the “making” of deep mediatization.
This workshop is primarily directed to doctoral students and students of Researcher Master Programs in Media Studies at Dutch Universities. Interested colleagues are also welcome to register.
- Deadline for registration is 15th April, 2020
- Deadline for submission of a proposal for a short paper presentation (15 minutes) is 27nd March, 2020 (e-mail to K.F.vanEs@uu.nl)
- Readings for the masterclass will be distributed in advance.
- Participation in the masterclass is free of charge.
- For further questions, please contact the organizer of the masterclass Karin van Es (K.F.vanEs@uu.nl)
- Hepp, A. (2016) Pioneer communities: Collective actors of deep mediatization. Media, Culture & Society, 38, 918-933.
- Hepp, A. (2020) Deep mediatization. Routledge, London, pp. 30-40.
Also note that there will be a public lecture with professor Hepp that afternoon | 15.30 – 17.30 | Sweelinckzaal, Drift 21 (Utrecht) | Utrecht University
Register for the lecture here
Dr Andreas Hepp is Full Professor of Media and Communications and Head of ZeMKI, Centre for Media, Communication and Information Research, University of Bremen, Germany. He was Visiting Researcher and Professor at leading institutions such as London School of Economics and Political Science, Goldsmiths University of London, UK, and Université Paris II Panthéon ASSAS, France. He is the author of twelve monographs including The Mediated Construction of Reality (with Nick Couldry, Polity, 2017), Transcultural Communication (Wiley, 2015) and Cultures of Mediatization (Polity, 2013). His latest book is Deep Mediatization (Routledge, 2019). http://www.andreas-hepp.name