How Do You…Advance?: Career Paths in and Beyond Media Studies
Friday February 26, 13:00-17:30
Utrecht University, Drift 23 – Room 1.13
RMeS is proud to present the next installment of our annual RMA and PhD network event, this year focusing on career development and branching out into the field of media studies.
In the last two years, the RMeS council has organized a series of “How do you…” network events: the 2014 event addressed methodology (How Do You… Work?) and last year’s event focused on the process of writing and rewriting (How Do You… (Re)Write?). This year’s event will examine the challenges and opportunities of pursuing a career in, and beyond, academic media studies. How to decide whether an academic career in media studies is for you? How do you prepare and plan a career in or outside academia? How can you improve your chances of career progression, and develop yourself in or beyond the field of media studies?
Whether you are a RMA student contemplating the next move or a PhD candidate considering future employment in academia or beyond academia, this event is for you!
The network event exists of two types of activities:
- Several media scholars will speak about the challenges and opportunities they faced while building a career in and beyond academia. Speakers: Nicolle Lamerichs (Lecturer International Communication & Media, Hogeschool Utrecht), Martijn Kleppe (Advisor/Project leader International Collaboration and Digital Scholarship, Koninklijke Bibliotheek) and Koen Leurs, (Assistant Professor in Gender and Postcolonial studies at the Graduate Gender Program, Utrecht University and grant recipient of NWO-Veni research project ‘Young connected migrants. Comparing digital practices of young asylum seekers and expatriates in the Netherlands’).
- Participants will meet and exchange ideas with other PhD or RMA students in the field, and jointly reflect on the current and future possibilities for a career in or beyond media studies.
For the latter part of the program, we will compile a list of useful resources for media students/scholars. Therefore, we ask you to please send us your suggestions on:
- Exchange programs
- Relevant grants, award programs or scholarships
- Training programs
- Media studies related communities, platforms, institutes, or networks
- Work placement or internship websites for employment in or outside academia
- Any other resources you found useful in your experience as media students/scholars
Registration: Please register no later than February 19 via http://goo.gl/forms/VXp8x2qvXR.
The event will take place on Friday February 26, 13:00 – 17:30 in Utrecht with drinks afterwards.
For questions of any kind please contact us by email at email@example.com.
We are looking forward to meeting you there!
The RMeS PhD Council (Simone Driessen, Alex Gekker, Tim Groot Kormelink, Birte Schohaus, Rik Spanjers, Lianne Toussaint)